Here are some links to resources mentioned in or related to my Thursday afternoon session. A PDF of the slides will be available after the session.
Here’s the link to the slides [PDF].
This session is the long version of an Ignite I did at NCTM Boston in 2015. You might use this 5-minute version to introduce colleagues to some of these ideas and start some conversation.
- Joe Schwartz’s Blog – Joe is a recently-retired elementary math specialist in central New Jersey. He blogged about using Noticing and Wondering at his school, among other things, and I’ve pointed you to a N&W Sampler that he wrote in January 2015.
- Numberless Word Problems – Brian Bushart has done a great job blogging about and preparing numberless word problems, including the mouse problem we looked at during the talk.
- Tina Cardone’s blog post about how using noticing and wondering saved her time.
- The NY Times Learning Network’s What’s Going On in This Graph?
- Beth Brandenburg is a lead teacher in Washington County, Maryland, and makes a lot of use of Noticing and Wondering in her school (and her district – she used to be a district-level lead teacher). I’ve pointed you to a post she wrote in August 2015.
- You can find more of my Ignite talks by rooting around on the Math Forum YouTube Channel.
- Check out tweets posted about Noticing and Wondering, using the #NoticeWonder hashtag (and add your own!).