Thanks to everyone who got up and did math and thinking about sense-making with me so early this morning! I hope you had some good conversations with your partners in those moments where I asked you to chat. Hopefully some of you even made some new friends.
As promised, below is a PDF of my slides, as well as some links to related resources.
- Download a PDF of my slides
- Brian Bushart’s blog post about Numberless Word Problems (and graphs)
- My five minute Ignite talk about Sense Making
- The New York Times Learning Network’s What’s Going On in This Graph?
- The blog post about the kindergarten teacher (Emily) who focused on sense-making
- Smudged Math was something mentioned on Twitter in relation to the problem I used about the department store where all the number info was blurred out – or smudged, as it were.
At the end of the session, it sounded like many folks talked to their partner about what they might try next week. My thanks to those of you who made public declarations. Thanks for being brave. I’d love to hear from all of you. So leave a comment here, or tweet at me (@MFAnnie) and tell me how it went, or what you’re wondering about, or whatever. Thanks!